The toilet bidet combo is something everyone should consider in a modern bathroom remodel or renovation.
Bidets are a highly recommended addition to the remodeled bathroom, and not only for an aging in place scenario or Universal Design viewpoint.
Related post: Why Include Bidets in a Remodel Project | Bidet Benefits
There are three types of bidet.
The standalone bidet is the classic or traditional arrangement. This is the separate floor or wall mounted ceramic unit that is located adjacent to the toilet. and it is still an option if that is your preference. However, in our view, it is not the preferred choice for a number of reasons:
- Given available alternatives, it is an outdated product.
- It is certainly not appropriate for an aging in place application because, since it requires considerable additional physical maneuvering, it can cause loss of balance in the elderly and is unsafe.
- It is unnecessarily expensive as requiring separate drainage and water supply.
- It is normally not appropriate in a typical remodel situation for lack of appropriate space. It takes a large bathroom to accommodate one of these units.
For all these reasons the trend now is toward:
1. The fully integrated “smart toilet” solution, which combines toilet and bidet in one single engineered solution, and
2. The bidet/toilet seat add-on for standard toilets
The demand for both these solutions is on the rise.
Smart toilets on Amazon
Woodbridgebath Woodbridge Luxury, Elongated One Piece Toilet with Advanced Bidet Seat, T-0008
Ove Decors SMART TOILET Single Flush System and Heated Seat with Remote Control, White
Trone TETBCERN-12.WH Tahum Electronic Toilet with Integrated Bidet, White
Bidet Seat for Standard Toilets
This is an add on bidet, where the bidet function is integrated into the toilet seat itself. There are two types of toilet seat bidet:
- Electric toilet seat bidet: these come with a variety of features including warm water, air dryers, deodorizers, and variable sprays. They require a nearby electrical outlet.
- Non-electric toilet seat bidet: the basic versions come with a cold water wash only. More advanced versions can be attached to the hot water line.
Bidet seats on Amazon
- Related post: How to Approach a Bathroom Remodel and Not Go Crazy
- Related post: How to Lay Out a Bathroom Remodel and Stay Organized